Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Remembering an Amazing Grandpa



The summer before I came to Ecuador, I went to visit my grandparents in Ohio. As I said goodbye to them, I broke down crying. It was the first real time that I noticed their frailness and vulnerability—probably because I was aware of how long it would be until I saw them again. The horrible thought went through my mind of “if I see them again.”

What an amazing God I have when I think about the time I was able to spend with them during this past summer when we were able to visit from Ecuador. The most painful process has been watching my Grandma continue to decline as she goes deeper into dementia. My Grandpa, on the other, despite his almost blindness and his struggle to walk, has a huge smile on his face when we saw him, making jokes with people passing by and sometimes taking a cheerful jab at my Grandma. I don’t think I thought of losing him first.

On Monday, November 7th, my Grandpa went to be the the Lord. As my sister reminded me, he has a new body now in heaven. He can walk with no pain, see for miles, and most likely is playing beautiful hymns and praises to God. What a comforting thought. Yesterday morning when I shared with my 7th grade students that I was sad about my Grandpa dying, one of my students pointed out that a praise for our morning prayer-time should be that he’s in heaven. It’s hard to rejoice during this time, but I’m thankful to know he’s free of pain and joyful despite the loss that we feel.

My most vivid memories of my Grandpa are as followed:

-Playing board games with him and my grandma

-The car rides with him every Wednesday when he came to pick me up

-His friendly and joyful singing voice

-His laughter

-His sometimes awkward and inappropriate jokes (more of this in his older age, I think he was losing his filter…haha)

-His music –this, of course, is what I will always remember.

-His all-caps emails

-His reminder to me that him and my grandma prayed for us every morning

When I visited him after being in Ecuador, he told me how proud he was to see me go and serve the Lord. He told me it was honor for him to have lived to see such a special thing.

It is our intent to go home for my Grandpa’s memorial service, but we need your help. Please prayerfully consider assisting us with this added and unexpected cost of airline tickets. We are looking into our options of traveling home for this time to support my family and to help with closure.

Please also pray for my family and I during this time. I’m finding it even harder to be here in Ecuador and away from the familiar while I’m grieving. Clinton has been wonderfully caring and supportive through my uncontrolled emotions these past two days. I am thankful, however, more than ever to know that I have a community of faith both here and at home supporting and praying for us.

Thank you to numerous friends who have encouraged me with verses. This one especially stood out to me from Isaiah 43, reminding me of God’s faithfulness and care:

But now, this is what the LORD says—

he who created you, Jacob,

he who formed you, Israel:

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;

I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

2 When you pass through the waters,

I will be with you;

and when you pass through the rivers,

they will not sweep over you.

When you walk through the fire,

you will not be burned;

the flames will not set you ablaze.

3 For I am the LORD your God,

the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

I give Egypt for your ransom,

Cush and Seba in your stead.

4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,

and because I love you,

I will give people in exchange for you,

nations in exchange for your life.

5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;

I will bring your children from the east

and gather you from the west.



This is one of my favorites: Dad and Grandpa playing music together.


1 comment: